welshbookworm

Mrs. Queen Takes the Train
William Kuhn
The Boleyn Deceit
Laura Andersen
Forever Liesl - Charmian Carr, Jean A.S. Strauss I have been a fan of The Sound of Music ever since I first saw it at the age of 10 or so. I was already a fan of Julie Andrews who had starred in Mary Poppins, and songs from the movie had already made their way into the music curriculum at school. My sisters and I would sing along to the soundtrack recording, and we even used a couple of those songs in our own rendition of "Evelyn: The Musical" for my mother's 80th birthday party last year. I could also add my own tribute to those of fans included in the book: the song "I Have Confidence" has been my own theme-song for many years, providing me with courage and inspiration when I have needed it. I enjoyed this book. It was a light, charming, uplifting bedtime read, easily sipped in small doses. It has a little of everything: stories about the filming of the movie, tributes from fans, what it was like to be one of the children and to keep that feeling of family through the years, a little about Charmian's own personal life (though one gets the feeling it was told with considerable restraint), and a little about the real von Trapp family. At times a little too saccharine, I would have liked more about the real life of Charmian Carr, but this wasn't meant to be an autobiography. It did what it was meant to do - make me want to go and watch the movie for the umpteenth time!

Book Description: The Sound of Music is more than a classic movie. It is a cultural phenomenon. Seen by over one billion people, it won five Academy Awards, ran for almost five years in its initial release, was named one of the three most popular films of all time by the People's Choice Awards, and became the longest-running video bestseller in history. Now, one of the film's cast tells what it was like to be part of all that. Charmian Carr shares some of her favorite stories about the film, what she learned when she met the real von Trapp children, and how The Sound of Music has helped her get through stormy times in her own life. Brimming with heartwarming anecdotes and funny moments, Forever Liesl celebrates the spirit of the movie and what it stands for: family love, romance, inspiration, courage, and the joy and power of music.