welshbookworm

Mrs. Queen Takes the Train
William Kuhn
The Boleyn Deceit
Laura Andersen
Crispin: The Cross of Lead - Avi I downloaded this as an ebook from the library onto my new color Nook, just to try out the Overdrive service. I'll definitely be reading more books this way!

I loved medieval stories when I was a child and that hasn't changed any! I love all of Avi's books and this one won the Newbery medal in 2003. The ending was a bit implausible, but otherwise 14th century England came alive in a way that I think children can relate to. The characters are appealing and the action moves along. I did look up a couple of words before I discovered there was a glossary at the back of the book. The e-edition was plagued with a few typos and one spot where some text was missing. I will be downloading and reading the sequels.

Description:
"Asta's Son" is all he's ever been called. The lack of a name is appropriate, because he and his mother are but poor peasants in 14th century medieval England. But this thirteen-year-old boy who thought he had little to lose soon finds himself with even less - no home, no family, or possessions. Accused of a crime he did not commit, he may be killed on sight, by anyone. If he wishes to remain alive, he must flee his tiny village. All the boy takes with him is a newly revealed name - Crispin - and his mother's cross of lead.