welshbookworm

Mrs. Queen Takes the Train
William Kuhn
The Boleyn Deceit
Laura Andersen
Portuguese Irregular Verbs - Alexander McCall Smith I love Alexander McCall Smith, but this book kind of fell flat for me. I listened to it twice, and don't remember when I finished it for sure, or much about the book. It just wasn't very memorable. Much of the humor depends on a familiarity with academia - it is amusing in a droll sort of way. There is no plot - it rambles forward and backward in time, like a collection of short stories or reminiscences. The dear Professor bumbles through life full of his own self-importance and somehow manages to come out okay.

Description: Welcome to the insane and rarified world of Professor Dr. Moritz-Maria von Igelfeld of the Institute of Romance Philology. Von Igelfeld is engaged in a never-ending quest to win the respect he feels certain he is due–a quest which has the tendency to go hilariously astray. In Portuguese Irregular Verbs, Professor Dr von Igelfeld learns to play tennis, and forces a college chum to enter into a duel that results in a nipped nose. He also takes a field trip to Ireland where he becomes acquainted with the rich world of archaic Irishisms, and he develops an aching infatuation with a Dentist fatale. Along the way, he takes two ill-fated Italian sojourns, the first merely uncomfortable, the second definitely dangerous.

Series info: