welshbookworm

Mrs. Queen Takes the Train
William Kuhn
The Boleyn Deceit
Laura Andersen
Pride and Prejudice and Kitties: A Cat-Lover's Romp through Jane Austen's Classic - Pamela Jane, Deborah Guyol, Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice told from a cat's point-of-view, interspersed with passages from Pride and Prejudice. The retelling was clever - Kitty doesn't just cough, she coughs up hairballs; the balls are the kind you bat around, maybe extra special with a bell inside; the estate has been end-tailed; etc. This is obviously a contemporary adaption - otherwise references to pill pockets and Fancy Feast would be anachronistic. If you like comparing the changes to the original, you will like the juxtaposition of the two texts. I thought it made the story a bit repetitious. The photos were obviously carefully staged with Jane Austen props. I loved the little inside jokes, and featuring other P&P related books like "Jane Austen for Dummies," "The Jane Austen Cookbook," and "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies." I would have liked the "kitty" adaptation to have been illustrated using the same cats for Jane Austen's characters and to have been separate from the other type of photos. All in all, I think it could have been less story, more photos.

From the inside flap:
"If I can but see one of my kittens happily purring at Netherfield," remarked Mrs. Bennet to her husband, "and all the others equally well-mated, I shall have nothing to yowl about." Pride and Prejudice and Kitties juxtaposes wacky photos of cats with the wicked humor of Jane Austen. Soulful Mr. Darcy gazes at Elizabeth Bennet in fascination; hysterical Mrs. Bennet yowls that no one understands her; somnolent Mr. Hurst passes out on the sofa after dinner; arrogant Lady Catherine hisses at Elizabeth. Each photo includes a hilarous caption that goes along with the text of Pride and Prejudice, told from a feline perspective.

Opening chapter:
"Netherfield Park is marked at last."
The news caused much romping at the Bennet household for, as every cat knows, a handsome young tom in possession of his own territory must be in want of a mate.