welshbookworm

Mrs. Queen Takes the Train
William Kuhn
The Boleyn Deceit
Laura Andersen
A Red Herring Without Mustard - Alan Bradley I don't think I'll ever get tired of reading or re-reading this series. I am listening to the audio versions so wonderfully narrated by Jayne Entwistle, but I have also purchased these for my e-reader to savor again later. We are beginning to see themes that hopefully will be resolved in the future, especially the mystery surrounding Flavia's mother and how she died.

Description: When a Gypsy caravan is passing through town, Flavia has a soothsayer read her fortune. Later, the old fortune teller is found bludgeoned in her own caravan. Was this an act of retribution by those convinced that the soothsayer had abducted a local child years ago? Certainly Flavia understands the bliss of settling scores; revenge is a delightful pastime when one has two odious older sisters. But how could this crime be connected to the missing baby? Had it something to do with the weird sect who met at the river to practice their secret rites? While still pondering the possibilities, Flavia stumbles upon another corpse—that of a notorious layabout who had been caught prowling about the de Luce’s drawing room. Pedaling Gladys, her faithful bicycle, across the countryside in search of clues to both crimes, Flavia uncovers some odd new twists. As the red herrings pile up, Flavia must sort through clues fishy and foul to untangle dark deeds and dangerous secrets.

Series info:
#3 of series
See: The sweetness at the bottom of the pie